Upper East Side: 212-396-3069
Inlays & Onlays
NYC Inlays & Onlays Serving Manhattan & New York, NY
A porcelain inlay or onlay is a customized filling used for tooth restorations. Resemblance to your natural tooth is a trait that make porcelain inlays a popular choice.
Teeth that are damaged by trauma or decay or possess large defective fillings can be repaired with the help of inlays or onlays. Inlays ideally replace composite and conventional silver fillings due to their durability, high aesthetics and ability to restore strength to the tooth. Less tooth structure is eliminated in the preparation of inlays & onlays, as compared to the crowns.
Inlays might require substitution later in life as they are not always permanent as with most dental restorations. But their high durability causes them to last many years providing you a charming smile.
Our highly experienced and skilled cosmetic dentists, Dr. Lee and Dr. Flores at Thyme Dental Care, NYC feel pride in offering opportunities and services for the patients. They develop a personalized plan with you and provide natural feel and shape to your teeth by offering the options of porcelain inlays and onlays if you possess large cavities or wish to replace an existing metal filling. Contact our office today at 212-396-3069 to schedule a consultation if you want to know more about porcelain inlays and onlays.
“I first encountered Thyme Dental Care over a holiday weekend when I had chipped one of my teeth. I was nervous that I would have a difficult time getting it fixed since many dental offices were closed. I’m glad I settled on this place – the staff were courteous, friendly, and efficient. Dr. Andrew Flores took the time to explain the options for repair that were available to me before I was charged a dime. He guaranteed the tooth repair for a year which allows me to come back in free of charge if anything happens to the fixed tooth. I’ve now been to both their Midtown and Upper East Side locations and I really appreciate how convenient their locations are. Not only will you receive quality dental care here, but you’ll encounter a friendly and knowledgeable dentist and dental staff who care just as much about your patient experience as they do your dental needs.”
What are Porcelain Inlays and Onlays?
The custom-made fillings created with the help of advanced technology in modern cosmetic dentistry in order to address structural issues of teeth are known as porcelain inlays or onlays. With the purpose of preventing future dental issues, porcelain inlays or onlays make your teeth strong by helping to repair the surface of your tooth with natural-looking fillings.
The dental cavities needing a repair more supportive than a dental filling but less extensive than a dental crown must consider having both porcelain inlays and onlays. Some teeth have small cracks or fractures and require restoration, which can be best done through porcelain inlays and onlays. The maximum amount of your own tooth can be preserved by porcelain inlays and onlays.
- Porcelain inlays: Inlays are placed and bonded in the center of a tooth. Those decayed teeth where the problem areas are near the outer surfaces of the tooth, and are shallow but wide, most often utilize inlays.
- Porcelain onlays: If there is a large cavity that needs to be repaired or the previous large filling has failed and requires substitution, it is necessary to place onlays. Multiple damaged cusps can be repaired by onlays.
Both the porcelain inlays and onlays are helpful as they reduce the chances of the requirement of further treatment and provide more support to your remaining tooth structure.
Advantages of Porcelain Inlays and Onlays
Porcelain inlays and onlays are a great solution for intermediary restorations of teeth, offering advantages like:
- Safe: The porcelain material will not crack your teeth as they do not contract or expand with hot or cold foods and drinks.
- Natural look: The porcelain does not fade over time like traditional resin fillings and matches perfectly to your existing tooth color.
- Custom fitting: Minimal preparation is required by inlays and onlays with maximum preservation of your tooth. A mold is created by using impressions of your existing tooth that will fit tightly to your tooth.
- Natural feel: Inlays and onlays feel and function similar to your natural teeth when made correctly.
- Easy cleaning: Inlays and onlays are stain resistant and are just like your natural teeth due to their precise fit. They make brushing and flossing an easy process while also being less bulky than dental crowns.
- Long lasting: The porcelain material used in inlays is quite long-lasting and durable.
- Strength: The porcelain inserts add support and strength to the damaged tooth once bonded to your tooth.
Contact us today to schedule a consultation with our inlays and onlays specialists today at Thyme Dental Care, NYC if you are really interested in restoring your teeth with porcelain inlays or onlays.