By Jon D. Payne,Sebastian Heck
In 'A religion worthy Teaching', edited by means of Jon Payne and Sebastian Heck, an array of devoted pastor-scholars have a good time the Heidelberg Catechism on its 450th anniversary with a set of essays on its dynamic heritage, wealthy theology, and fruit-bearing perform that might be an encouragement to pastors and laypersons alike.
Table of Contents:
Foreword: the Heidelberg Catechism: the key of its good fortune - Herman J. Selderhuis
Part 1: The historical past and heritage of the Heidelberg Catechism
1. The heritage and other people at the back of the Heidelberg Catechism - Lyle D. Bierma
2. The Heidelberg Catechism within the usa - D. G. Hart
Part 2: The Heidelberg Catechism and the technique of Grace
3. protecting Firmly to the Heidelberger: The Validity and Relevance of Catechism Preaching - Joel R. Beeke
4. Preaching the Catechism at the present time - Joel R. Beeke
5. “Washed from All My Sins”: The Doctrine of Baptism within the Heidelberg Catechism - Sebastian Heck
6. “As definitely As I See and Taste”: The Lord’s Supper and the Heidelberg Catechism – Jon D. Payne
Part three: Christian Doctrine and the Heidelberg Catechism
7. accumulated, safe, and Preserved: The Church within the Heidelberg Catechism - Michael S. Horton
8. Grace and Gratitude: Justification and Sanctification within the Heidelberg Catechism - Cornelis P. Venema
9. The Christology of the Heidelberg catechism - Mark Jones
10. “Prophet, health practitioner Jesus”: the Son of God as “Our excessive Priest and instructor” within the Heidelberg Catechism - Victor E. d’Assonville
11. The Spirit-Filled Catechism: The Heidelberg Catechism and the Holy Spirit - Daniel R. Hyde
Part four: The Heidelberg Catechism As Catechetical instrument
12. The Heidelberg Catechism one of the Reformed Catechisms - W. Robert Godfrey
13. The Heidelberg Catechism: A Catechetical instrument - Willem Verboom
14. Scholasticism within the Heidelberg Catechism? - Willem van’t Spijker
“This is a superb choice of articles, either functional and scholarly. there's a lot the following to aid us comprehend the heritage, the theology, and the continued relevance of the Heidelberg Catechism. As we pontificate during the Heidelberg in our church i'm going to definitely seek advice this booklet frequently. It triggered me to reconsider and back ‘Isn’t the Catechism remarkable!’ and, extra importantly, ‘Isn’t the gospel amazing!’” — Kevin DeYoung, senior pastor at collage Reformed Church, Lansing, Michigan, and writer of the excellent news We virtually Forgot: Rediscovering the Gospel in a sixteenth Century Catechism
“As a precis and interpretation of God’s note composed for and licensed by way of the Reformed church buildings, the Heidelberg Catechism (1563) has a unique position within the lifetime of the church buildings. we must always be glad about 'A religion worthy Teaching', a very good source that is helping us greater comprehend and use the catechism in our time.” — R. Scott Clark, professor of church background and ancient theology, Westminster Seminary California
Read Online or Download A Faith Worth Teaching: The Heidelberg Catechism’s Enduring Heritage PDF
Best church history books
This choice of basic records chronicles the founding and early life of the Lutheran Church—Missouri Synod. every one bankruptcy addresses particular eras and concerns, together with the ecu history, the association of the LCMS, challenge paintings, the method of Americanization, and enlargement within the early twentieth century.
It truly is approximately time that somebody wrote church historical past that tells approximately humans, not only approximately "eras" and "ages. " Church historical past in undeniable Language faucets the roots of our Christian genealogy. It combines authoritative examine with an enthralling kind to deliver our history domestic to us.
For plenty of, the medieval global turns out darkish and foreign—a spectacular, brutal, and irrational time of superstition and unusual relics. The pursuit of heretics, the Inquisition, the Crusades and the domination of the “Holy Land” spring to mind. but the medieval international produced a lot that's a part of our international at the present time, together with universities, the fervour for Roman structure and the emergence of the gothic variety, pilgrimage, the emergence of capitalism, and feminine saints.
The only and the 3 explores parallels among Byzantine and early Irish monastic traditions, discovering in either a markedly trinitarian theology based on God’s contemplation and ascetic event. Chrysostom Koutloumousianos refutes sleek theological theses that have an effect on ecclesiology, and contrasts present faculties of theological idea with patristic theology and anthropology, to be able to procedure the which means and fact of cohesion and otherness in the Triadic Monad and the cosmos.
- How George Became Naked
- Our Design: The Secret Life of Jesus
- A Simplified Guide to Worshiping As Lutherans
- A Bible Study of Proverbs Chapter 7--Book 1
- Slaying Conflict Healing Souls: Are We There Yet?
- Gadfly: Reading Church Through Reading Jesus
Additional info for A Faith Worth Teaching: The Heidelberg Catechism’s Enduring Heritage
A Faith Worth Teaching: The Heidelberg Catechism’s Enduring Heritage by Jon D. Payne,Sebastian Heck